Monday, July 1, 2013

Finished: Audrey in Unst cardigan

Happy Canada Day! Hope you had a great long weekend. I put in a fair bit of knitting time this weekend, working hard to finish my Audrey in Unst sweater before the deadline for the Purple Purl knit-along. And I did! 


The pattern was written by Gudrun Johnston for Twist Collective back in 2009, and there are 1100+ project pages for it on Ravelry for good reason. The sweater itself is a classic shape, flattering for pretty well every body, and highly versatile; the pattern is extremely well written, full of the careful attention to detail and little bits of knitterly finesse that I've come to expect from Shetland Trader patterns. I especially enjoyed the set-in, short-row sleeve and the I-cord finish for the collar: slick.



The lace bib was a nice touch, too – one of those things that looks harder than it was. I've seen lots of interesting variations on this on Ravelry, too. 

I made a couple of modifications: namely, lengthening the body and shortening the sleeves. Based on what I've read in Knit to Flatter, I probably didn't need quite as much length in the body, but I think the short sleeves were a good choice. 


There was lots of colour variation in the yarn (Rosebud, from SweetGeorgia), which is most noticeable on the back and on one of the sleeves. The KAL started with the option to special order your yarn, so you'd get all the same dye lot. I didn't sign up until two weeks later, which meant buying my yarn off the shelf, and I regret it a bit. But not too much. This IS handmade, after all. You pay your money and you take your chances. And then you rip out one sleeve and re-knit it. Ahem.


I am in love with the buttons I used – handmade ceramic buttons from Melissa Jean, a souvenir from the Squam Art Fair. They're lovely, like little candies, and the colour is perfect. 


I should have bought two more (such is the problem with fevered art-fair shopping, I never think to count), but she's got an online shop, so I'm all set. Soon. Have a peek – aren't they lovely? Melissa was in both of my classes at Squam – she was absolutely lovely, not to mention a talented artist and a great knitter – and I think those qualities shine through in her work.


I'm fighting the urge to cast on 14 new projects now that this one is finished (start-itis is my most common reaction to finishing something, every time). I think I'll spend some time on my Pi Shawl and my second Jaywalker sock before I start something new...maybe. But then again, maybe not!


1 comment:

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!