Monday, August 26, 2013

In progress: Lorem ipsum socks

Sometimes, it's fun to make something just because you can. Enter the "lorem ipsum" socks.

I've been at an on-site magazine job for the past week or so, and as the pages trundle through the production cycle, I've seen a lot of the faux-Latin placeholder text on my screen. It's anywhere there should be words that aren't ready yet – photo credits, captions, headlines. Sometimes (hopefully not often) entire articles. 

Office life, of course, doesn't allow for much knitting time. But there is time to sit in the cafeteria with a cup of tea and browse Ravelry for 20 minutes at lunch. I was reviewing my favourites when I stumbled across the Hwaet! socks again, and an idea took shape.



On Saturday morning (with yet more tea) I sat and doodled, did a bit of stash diving and a bit of math, and came up with a plan. I created some knitter's graph paper in Excel (directions) and got to work colouring in boxes.

Colourwork is addictive (even when it's in black and white), and most of my weekend disappeared in a frenzy of "just one more row!" as I watched the lines of text appear.


The text wraps right around. 



It says "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Text goes here TKT..." 

I think I'll get two repeats of the chart before I go on to the foot. I haven't decided on what the foot will look like, but I'm thinking it will probably be plain knitting – the stranded colourwork might be too bulky to wear comfortable inside a shoe. 

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to make something on a lark. No deadlines, no expectations – just an idea and a lot of fooling around. And an awesome pair of socks.

4 comments:

  1. As a fellow editor, I love this! (I would probably love it anyway, but I spend a lot of time looking at lorem ipsum at work, so these socks are hilarious.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Nelly. That's impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! And I hope you'll share the pattern on Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished sock !

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!