Friday, April 1, 2016

March 31: Report from the Niagara bureau


Spent yesterday travelling, and there were so many modes of transportation involved (bus, plane, moving sidewalk, car on a boat, car, car in a violent downpour) that I didn't think about meeting my daily writing commitment until I collapsed into bed at the not-at-all dignified time of 8:50 p.m. In my defence, I'd been up since 5:30 a.m. and had changed time zones, so I'd earned my faceplant moment, but still. The end of the month arrived not with a bang but a whimper.

I'm visiting family in Ontario for a few days. Today I drove around my hometown with the windows down, listening to the songs of my youth on the radio (on the oldies station: woe!), and it didn't take too much effort to feel like I was back in university, enjoying one of those few precious empty days between the end of exams and the beginning of my summer job.

Spring is a little further along here, but not much: the grass is greener and the maple branches are heavy with red buds. Earlier today, thick black storm clouds rolled in across Lake Ontario, and I caught a glimpse of a stand of weeping willow trees, backlit by the mid-morning sun, glowing chartreuse against the sky. I've yet to see any real leaves, though, and I've spied precious few flowers: maybe I'll drive out to the greenhouse tomorrow to get my fix. Either way, I've got a date for a walk with my favourite two year old, and we'll see what we can find. Diggers and trucks and buses, probably, but the joy of discovery will be the same.

PS Thanks for accompanying me on my month of blogging. I appreciated all the comments. It's always great to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Great, Austen! Enjoy the time in your home town, be sure to check out the new-look riganellis bakery!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!