Friday, November 29, 2013

November 29


After I finished my Tilting Tardis Cowl I decided I needed a hat to match. A lace hat is no match for Toronto’s winters, so I went with a straight-up tuque – with a Tardis, of course.

This was actually a fairly straightforward project and a fairly quick knit. I started on Sunday and finished on Wednesday – and that's with a fair bit of mid-project pattern revision and ripping-out.
I used Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow Label (DK weight) and a 16" long 3.5 mm needle, for a dense fabric that had both body and drape. (And after a wintry walk this afternoon, I can assure you that it definitely kept out the wind!)
Here's what I did:
Cast on 120 sts and join to work in round. 
Worked 1.5 inches in 1x1 rib. 
Changed to St st for 3 rows, then added the Tardis. Used the chart from Bigger on the Inside, working it upside down, with a border of 3 purl sts on either side. 
Added two beads to the top, for the light. 
Worked a few more purl rows, then switched into St st and knit to 6.5 inches. 
Crown decrease set up row: * k 12, pm, repeat from * to end of round. 
Dec row: * k to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round. 
K 1 row. 
Repeat last 2 rows until 10 sts remain. K2tog around. Cut yarn. Thread tail through remaining sts and pull tight.

It’s not fancy – in fact, I’d say it’s relatively subtle for a Doctor Who–related knit – but I love it! Midnight is the perfect colourway for this, I think, and the yarn washed up beautifully. 
And, oh by the way, if you need a quick, easy Christmas gift that's a little less...nerdy...you can just make the hat without the Tardis chart. It's a good solid pattern to have in your back pocket, and it'd work with just about any yarn you have in your stash. I used about half of a 115 g skein.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for the Tardis pattern! I've already made three hats with more in the pipeline for Christmas. I could only fit 1 bead for my topper, but I definitely like the bead idea better as I suck at bobbles.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!