Saturday, April 20, 2013

Comfort knitting: Duke Street Shawl

What a week. I already knew it would be a challenging one – I was back to work, another stint at the in-house freelance job I'm working, which takes more out of me than I'd like to admit – but I wasn't anticipating all the bad news. So much bad news, and so graphic, and so constant. Eventually you just have to turn everything off and walk away.


So on Thursday I snuck out of the office for a coffee and knitting break. It was warm enough (almost) to sit outside, so I bundled up and sat in the weak spring sun for 15 minutes and got in a couple rows of the shawl I'm working on.


The Duke Street Shawl is one of two patterns that I modelled for Glenna back in February – the first part of her Urban Collection, Vol. 2. It was a chilly day, but with that shawl wrapped around my neck I was (almost, ha!) cozy. Later, I wished I'd had the gumption to distract her and spirit the shawl into my own bag. 


Instead, I'm making my own. The yarn is TFA Orange Label in Teal – I love this colourway. The pattern is simple – perfect for when your brain power is directed elsewhere – but the ever-shifting colours keep me well entertained. And oh, it will be so soft and warm when it is finished – perfect for those frosty early mornings at Squam (I'm under no illusions that it will be any warmer in June than it is in September).

I'll be bundling this back into my bag today, as I'm heading into the office for the afternoon and, well, you never know when you might need a bit of comfort knitting. Between this and the world's ugliest blueberry muffins (fresh out of the oven), hopefully it will be a good day.

In news-related news, I found this Amy Poehler video touching, and this essay was also a tonic. 

Back soon.

1 comment:

  1. That colour really is fantastic.

    Hope proper spring arrives soon for you. Feeling a bit guilty over here on the west coast!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!