Monday, February 18, 2013

On becoming a sock knitter

Considering how much emphasis I put on making things that are both beautiful and useful, it's a bit surprising how long it took me to convert to the way of the sock.

The beauty of sock yarns is matched by the dazzling variety of sock patterns that are available, from basic to ornate to downright jaw-dropping, and I'm not sure there's a knitted garment that's more useful. Toques and mittens are seasonal, after all, but I wear socks on all but the very warmest summer days.


Many of the knitters I most admire are ardent sock knitters. Glenna knits socks at the movies; Kate knits them on the streetcar; Tanis makes socks that feature her amazing yarns. Stephanie – well, she's in a league of her own.


Inspired by them, I've been toting a sock-in-progress whenever I leave the house. But short commutes aren't conducive to making much progress on a sock, and this pair has been languishing since last autumn. I even carried them with me to New Zealand and back, without a notable increase in size.


This weekend something changed. I went away for the weekend and took a half-finished sock with me. I knit the heel flap on the train and turned the heel on the bus; thirty-six hours later, all that was left to do was the grafting.


I think I've hit the sweet spot: the perfect combination of my favourite yarn, the right needles, and a pattern (Glenna's "Nice Ribbed Sock" is my go-to) that I'm familiar with, and enough sock-knitting experience that I can trust my instincts when it comes time to turn a heel or pick up gusset stitches. It is so satisfying to be able to turn a heel without looking at the pattern.

I can't wait to wear my new socks. And although I've got other things on the needles, I cast on for a new pair this afternoon. I could get used to this sort of quick knitterly gratification.

(Oh, and speaking of socks, one day I will make these Beowulf socks. They're terrific!)

8 comments:

  1. I love to knit socks! they are something that can be mindless or complex depending on the pattern!
    I'm so glad I found you again. I love the knitting you inspire me to do!!
    hope that things change for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see you here! Thanks for the positive vibes. :)

      Delete
  2. I still don't like knitting, but I like socks. And you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I love knitting socks! I love both the wearing and the knitting, and I don't think I could ever get tired of them, since there are endless patterns and gorgeous yarns to choose from.

      Sigh. You're making me wish I had my current sock-in-progress with me right now. I'm determined to finish the pair this week!

      Delete
    2. I love your sock enthusiasm, Angela. They're fun, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. i love those socks and Koigu is my favorite yarn! any chance you can tell me which colorway that is? it's so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally – I love Koigu too! Unfortunately I didn't keep the tag from the skein, but I *think* the colourway was P344. If not that, P708 and P711D both look close. If you're in Toronto, EweKnit (near Honest Ed's) has a terrific selection of KPPPM.

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!