Monday, February 11, 2013

Simple stitched heart pendant

It seems that it's cool to be cynical about Valentine's Day, and I get it: when the merchandising and advertising gets to be too much, it's easiest to retreat behind a sneer and a sarcastic remark and sit back to wait until all the leftover chocolate goes on sale for half price.



But why waste an opportunity to tell your friends and family that you love them? I'll take any excuse to send cards and bake cupcakes and buy flowers. And, of course, to make things.


Laser-cut wooden cross stitch pendants are one of the staples of my craft stash – I always like to have a couple on hand, because they're super versatile and make beautiful (and fast!) gifts. The embroidery floss (regular and sparkle) comes in myriad colours. I buy it by the fistful.


The back of the package insert has a tiny chart, so that you can plan your design before you start stitching. (One of these days I'm going to make myself a monogrammed pendant – fun!)


Three strands of embroidery floss and one strand of sparkle floss work perfectly. In the end, I didn't cross stitch – I felt that the simple diagonal stitches were enough. The whole project only takes about an hour. 


And done. I love the way the sparkle floss adds a subtle sheen. I strung the pendant on a cord of braided embroidery floss. A length of silk cord would look lovely, too – I just didn't have any on hand.

Speaking of needlework, isn't this new book by Anna Maria Horner beautiful?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pendant Austen! I have one of these in my stash too - appreciate the reminder that I should dig it out and do something with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alli! I was surprised at how much fun it was – I'm not much of a cross stitcher, but I really enjoyed this!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment. Thank you for getting in touch!